Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I choose the right bed for me?
- A bed that's supportive and comfortable is the key. But it is important to remember that people's requirement for support will differ depending on their weight and build. Our beds are designed to deliver correct body support, superb levels of comfort and the promise of a perfect night's sleep. The level of surface softness is a matter of personal preference so to enable a more informed choice our main range of beds are divided into three comfort ratings; Soft for those who prefer a slightly softer feel, Medium for those who favour Medium to Firm Support and Firm Support for a Firm Feel. Form our range, whatever your sleep preferences; we guarantee you will find the bed that feels 'just right' for you.
Kdbeds recommend that you spend as much time as required before buying it. If you have a partner discuss your preferences together. You spend a third of your life in bed and therefore it is probably the most used product that you will ever purchase in your entire life.
- I have a bad back what do you recommend?
- There is no single right bed to ease a back problem and additionally, each different back problem may require a different solution. Look for a supportive rather than a hard bed. Do not assume that orthopaedic or firmer beds are the best option. Often a medium firm bed with proper cushioning is better.
- Does it make a difference what type of divan I have?
- The performance and feel of your mattress is very dependent on the quality of support given to it by your divan. We offer a choice of divans, all of which will provide both you and your mattress with first class long lasting support.
Platform Bases provide a firmer foundation, the top of the divan is solid, so your mattress will determine the degree of support you desire.
Firm Edge Bases, in which the spring system is contained within a timber frame, gives the base a medium firm feel.
Sprung Edge Bases featuring a complete spring unit on top of the base. By doubling the number of springs on which you sleep gives a softer foundation, offers supreme comfort and extends the life of your mattress.
Slatted Bases found in the bedstead offer additional support to the mattress but also enable the mattress to breathe, as air is free to circulate.
- What are the different types of mattress available?
- Mattresses are finished in three ways: panel quilted, micro quilted and tufted. In a panel and micro quilted mattress the fillings are secured on each side. Additionally with micro quilting the advanced stitching techniques used enhance the design of the fabrics. Tufted mattresses are pierced through and buttoned. These 'tufts' hold all the layers of padding together and tie them in to the spring unit.
- What storage options are available?
- Our Divans offer spacious, discreet storage without any compromise on comfort or feel. We offer three main drawer options, which can be specified into a variety of configurations, the standard size side drawer, the large end drawer and 2/4 drawer options. Additionally some Manufacturers offer slide drawers that fit under our range of bedsteads. Our space saving Guest Beds feature an underbed which is pulled out on easy running castors and lifted to the same height as the main bed by unfolding the self locking, Lift and lock, legs under the base, transforming from a single to double or a twin.
- Does the base need to be replaced with the mattress?
- The Sleep Council recommends changing your bed, the mattress and divan, every 10 years. After this length of time, the springs in the base will have softened due to their constant use. Placing a new mattress onto an old base will dramatically increase the wear on the new mattress, and affect its guarantee.
- What is the expected life of a bed?
- The Sleep Council advise not to wait until your bed becomes uncomfortable or damaged before replacing it as by this time sleep quality may already have been affected. A good quality bed will last for around 10 years, it is important that your bed is judged on how comfortable and supportive it still is rather than on its age.
- Is it true that the bigger the bed the better?
- Yes! The Sleep Council recommends you buy the biggest bed that will fit into your bedroom. Disturbance from a partner is one of the most common of sleeping complaints and is largely eliminated in bigger beds. The larger the bed, the more room there is to move about (research shows that we toss and turn as many as 60 to 70 times a night) and you are less likely to disturb each other's sleep. For further details please refer to the Size Guide.
- Is it necessary to turn the mattress?
- By turning your mattress you will minimise the depression that quite normally occurs when the cushioning layers settle. Turn your mattress at least once a month for the first six months' use, then every six months thereafter. No turn mattresses only needed to be rotated as above.
- Can any mattress be used on a slatted bed base?
- Yes, the majority of mattresses can be used on a slatted base especially those from our Mattress Collection which are recommended for this purpose.
- What do you recommend for asthma and allergy sufferers?
- From our Memory Foam collection these mattresses contain hypo-allergenic fillings and are an excellent choice for allergy and asthma sufferers.
- Do all Beds offer a guarantee?
- In the unlikely event of a defect in material or workmanship Kdbeds offer a 1 year guarantee and up to a 10 year warranty on many ranges. All collections offer 1 year guarantee. The children's collection, have a 1 year guarantee and a 7 year warranty. All Jaybe collections come with a 10 year guarantee.
- Where can I find larger sized bed linen for bigger beds?
- Most department stores, bed and linen specialists now cater for the larger bed sizes, king and super king in addition to extra depth mattresses. If you experience any difficulty sourcing bed linen please contact Kdbeds and we can put you in touch with a supplier.